Can setup a project in an IDE
A little bit more detailed explanation (from CodeLaunch) with some additional info at the end.
Can navigate code effectively using IDE features
Some useful navigation shortcuts:
- Quickly locate a file by name.
- Go to the definition of a method from where it is used.
- Go back to the previous location.
- View the documentation of a method from where the method is being used, without navigating to the method itself.
- Find where a method/field is being used.
Can step through a program using a debugger
This video (from LaunchCode) gives a pretty good explanation of how to use the Intellij IDEA debugger.
- Intellij IDEA Documentation: Debugging Basics - Can be used as a reference document when you want to recall how to use a debugging feature.
Can use automated refactoring features of the IDE
This video explains how to automate the 'Extract parameter' refactoring using Intellij IDEA. Most other refactorings available works similarly. i.e.
select the code to refactor →
find the refactoring in the context menu or
use the keyboard shortcut.
Here's another video explaining how to change a method signature as part of refactoring.
- Introduction to Refactoring (in Intellij IDEA) : An article on refactorings available in Intellij IDEA.