A slightly more detailed explanation (from CodeLaunch) with some additional info at the end.
Some useful navigation shortcuts:
- Quickly locate a file by name.
- Go to the definition of a method from where it is used.
- Go back to the previous location.
- View the documentation of a method from where the method is being used, without navigating to the method itself.
- Find where a method/field is being used.
IntelliJ IDEA Code Navigation
This video (from LaunchCode) gives a pretty good explanation of how to use the IntelliJ IDEA debugger.
- IntelliJ IDEA Documentation: Debugging Basics - Can be used as a reference document when you want to recall how to use a debugging feature.
This video explains how to automate the 'Extract variable' refactoring using IntelliJ IDEA. Most other refactorings available work similarly. i.e.
select the code to refactor →
find the refactoring in the context menu or
use the keyboard shortcut.
Here's another video explaining how to do some more useful refactorings in Intellij IDEA.
- Introduction to Refactoring (in IntelliJ IDEA): An article on the refactorings available in IntelliJ IDEA.